Friday, June 17, 2011

Pirsig Pilgrimage Complete

Brian has posted his pictures and comments of the trip, they are terrific.  He used a camera which took better photos than my phone and he captured some great panoramic views.  Please take a look with this url:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Morgan.Hougland/RoadtripWithKevin?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiA4s2Xg7fTqgE&feat=email#

Started today in the mountains, took Hwy 1 to the ocean, then the forest, then across a very neat, but incredibly challenging (up and down a couple small mountains and constant, left-right-left-right very tight turns).  Had to wait at one point for a 25 minute construction project.  Had just passed a logging truck, the logs they carry are immense.  Going through that bit of forest on Hwy 1, there were a lot of residents who had flower gardens and there were also many wildflower fields.  I could smell their scents as I rode by.

This poor kid, he'd been out there for almost 8 hours. 
Kept accidentally switching the sign around and
folks behind me thought it was time to go. 


The road in the background is Hwy 1

On my way into San Francisco, I encountered a huge amount of congestion trying to get across the Golden Gate.  Found my way up the long, long hill to 300 Page Street and located the Zen Center where Robert Pirsig enrolled his son Chris who was later shot on the streetcorner outside.  I took a couple of photos then meandered up the stairs inside the large wooden doors.  It was much more professional than I had expected.  When I was a teenager, my cousin Kelli, Brian, and I went to St. Louis and visited a Harri Krishna temple.  It was a pretty worn down building, somewhat resembling a frat house's living quarters, with one fancy worship room.  In contrast, the Zen center was expansive, professional, and modern.  Very Zen.  The lady who greeted me calmly, of course, let me know there were no services at this time but they were beginning a three-day sitting meditation session.  I looked at her in a way which communicated I was not interested.  We gently walked outside together and I left and walked back to the bike.  The Zen portion of the trip was complete. 






very, very long hill with many stops


Staying in a very nice Courtyard Marriott this evening (thank you, again, to Margaret).  Walked across the parking lot to Ihop for dinner.  Ended up ordering breakfast and overdid it a bit: eggs scrambler, sausage, bacon, hash browns, pancakes, and a glass of chocolate milk.  Of course, I still got my tea to go!  The evening is very nice outside, makes me want to camp.  I'm going to try camping the rest of the trip so posts may be sporadic again depending on availability.  

And for my kids....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Slug Bug!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kevin, Good thing you hooked up w/Brian - got lots of good pics - how come you didn't get one of Brian down on the blue mule? I think your tents (his and hers?), look real cute - Don't know where you are right now but enjoy the rest of the ride - be careful and oh 80 mph - better slow it down some - later, Pop and Shirley -Also, Hello Brian you've changed looks since the eighties

    ReplyDelete